The initial selection of coaches is vital if an athletic program is to reflect Christian values. A coach should not be selected purely for his/her knowledge of sports, but rather as a potential youth minister who will reflect and model the Gospel values that should be incorporated into the athletic program.
The Head Coach of each team will be held responsible for all actions of assistant coaches, game personnel and fans/spectators. In the absence of a game administrator, the head coach will have to assume those responsibilities.
Criteria for selection of coaches must include:
- Model Christian
- Emotionally stable & responsible
- Interested in working with young people to build their confidence, while being sensitive to their differences
- Knowledge of sport and skills necessary to be successful
- Knowledge of PAA rules and regulations
- Approval of the Pastor, and/or Principal
- Criminal background check on file at Diocesan Office (or member organization’s administrative office if not associated with the Catholic Diocese of Memphis).
- VIRTUS® training completed
- Completed Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Certification.
- It is recommended that at least one coach of each team be currently certified in CPR and First Aid.